Thursday, February 22, 2007

Shameless Sensationalism

I took this snippet from this news article on CNN.com. I'm not sure if they just worded it poorly, or if CNN just holds themselves to lower standards on the internet then they do in broadcast, but the video link at the end seems... questionable to me.

"Watch two teenagers beat a cowering homeless man with bats"? Really, wouldn't something more along the lines of, "Watch a video of the tragic beating" be better?

But really, who can blame them? News is after all, a business, and if CNN's going to take on streaming video on the web, it's gotta learn from the best. The best, or at least the biggest in online video is definitely YouTube right now. As I write this article some of the most viewed videos of the day on YouTube are:
When these are some of the most popular videos on the internet at this moment, I'm surprised CNN's link wasn't "teenagers vs bum! check it out!"

No comments: